Saturday, February 4, 2012

Avoid the Flak and Just Sneak in some Flax

I have regularly used smoothies as a way to get some fruit into my husbands diet.  He drinks them on the way to work.  I tried also sneaking in some leafy vegetables - but he did not want to drink something that was green.  I learned next time I will have to keep some kiwis and green grapes around and tell him the spinach I added was actually green fruit.

I have recently started sneaking in something more inconspicuous into his smoothies  - Ground Organic Golden Flax Seeds.  I bought this huge bag from Costco a while back and recently started using it.  I'm taking a guess here but I believe it was about $8.00 for a 3 lb bag.  The bag says it has 97 - 2 Tbsp servings.  So that is good for about 97 smoothies.  Since the seeds are already ground, this is an easy way to add some healthy fat, fiber and antioxidants to a smoothie without anyone knowing.  This product contains 2800 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids per 2 Tbsp. Flax seeds are a plant source of omega-3 which may aid in lowering total cholesterol and bad (LDL) cholesterol.  Flax seeds also contain lignans which are plant estrogens (antioxidants) that may help ward off some cancers.  Check out this article on Health Castle for more information. http://www.healthcastle.com/flax.shtml


Here is my Smoothie Recipe for 2 people
1 banana
6-7 large frozen strawberries
10 oz. canned unsweetened pineapple chunks (1/2 of 20 oz can)
1/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp agave nectar
2 Tbsp organic ground golden flax seeds
add water as needed and blend

No comments:

Post a Comment