Sunday, December 30, 2012

Top Produce Picks for Picky Eaters

As a dietitian I am often asked what I keep in my refrigerator.  Since I am super busy and I also live with someone who only likes certain fruits and veggies I developed a staple of products to rely on.  My top criteria is that my produce involve minimal prep - which usually means wash and go, easy peeling or open and serve items.  I also try to select organic in some cases.  Check out this link to find out why.

1.  Bananas - 450 mg potassium, 3 grams of fiber
I eat one of these every day in some form.  I keep a bunch on the counter and freeze ripe bananas.  These will go whole in my husband's lunch, in a breakfast smoothie or I use one to make a frozen milkshake type drink.  Blend together 2 frozen bananas, 2 cups of chocolate or vanilla almond milk,1/2 scoop of soy protein powder and a dash of vanilla.

2. Mini Sweet Peppers - 3 = 270% Vitamin C  (Percent of Daily Value based on 2000 calorie diet)
For years I have cut up peppers and put them in my lunch.  I had no idea there was an easier way to eat peppers!  Recently I discovered mini sweet peppers.  No cutting necessary.  I always assumed these would be hot so I avoided them.  Rinse & pop in a ziploc bag for lunch.
 

3. Organic Fuji Apples - 3 grams of fiber, 10% Vitamin C
I was never a fan of apples until I tried organic.  I keep about 4-5 of these on hand per week.  I can't get my husband to eat these - so it's just me - unless I sneak it into a smoothie.  They can be a little expensive - $2.50-2.99 a pound - but the taste is worth the price.  Apples are on the "Dirty Dozen" list which means non-organic has a lot of pesticides (and probably the reason I did not like the taste prior to trying organic.)

4. Earthbound Farm Pre-washed Spinach - 2 grams fiber, 160% Vitamin A
Love this because it can be taken right out of the bag and put into a bowl for a quick salad.  This brand is also organic.  It goes for about$4.49 for a 1 pound container at Marc's Discount Grocery Stores.  Besides for salads, spinach is great to add to an omelet or saute with garlic and shrimp.  I have even added spinach to smoothies before, however I tell my husband that the green color comes from grapes or I know he won't drink it. (Also try the1/2 spring mix and1/2 spinach blend.)





5. Cherry, Grape or Plum Tomatoes - packed with antioxidants!
Wash and go or saute and add to an omelet or stir fry.  Need I say more!

No comments:

Post a Comment