Monday, November 7, 2011

Converting the Spinach Hater

My husband usually likes sandwiches for lunch because they are easy to eat between teaching classes.  In addition, I usually give him another sandwich to eat on the go after school when he is coaching track or cross country.  However the season just ended so I thought I would give him a salad today since he will have a little more time.  I have had success with this salad in the past.  My husband always hated spinach but this salad he loves.  I think it is because I use the organic "Earthbound Farms" spinach.  Today I am using the "Spring Mix / Spinach Blend".  I bought a 1 lb tub for about $4.00 at Marc's (a local discount grocery store).  This tub is usually good for 1 week.  I can generally get about 2 salads a day out of it.  The cost is about 40 cents for the lettuce portion of the salad. 

Here is what I put in his salad and mine.

2 cups of spring mix lettuce & spinach mix
1 cup of shrimp (bought pre-cooked; defrost)
2 T of feta cheese
6 cheerub tomatoes
1/3 cup of Mandarin oranges (in light syrup)
3 T of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (this is just for my husband - I don't use salad dressing)

Without dressing the salad is about 240 calories, 6g fat, 3g saturated fat & 25g protein.
3 T Ranch adds 120 calories, 12g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat & 1.5g protein.

I also gave my husband a Nutri-Grain Apple Cereal Bar.  He told me he doesn't really like them because he feels like they are wasted calories (120 cal per bar).  He says they don't fill him up.  However I still put one in his lunch.  I figured it might keep him away from the school cafeteria or vending machines.  Each bar also contains 8 grams of whole grains.  The recommended servings of whole grains per day is 48 grams.  I have heard if you keep offering children a new food item they will eventually eat it - I am trying this same approach with my husband.   I got 16 bars for $2.50 at Marc's.  You can't beat the price.  I bought more than one box.  So we will be eating them until they are gone!

No comments:

Post a Comment