Tuesday, November 8, 2011

To Bone or Not To Bone?

Salmon with Bones
I've decided to go for another salad today and top it with canned salmon.  I usually use boneless salmon however I saw this canned salmon "with the bones" at Aldi's (discount grocery store) last month.  Since it was a good price at $1.19 for a 14.75 oz I decided to try it out to see if the taste was any different. 

Northern Salmon Nutrition info
Similar to sardines, the benefit to eating fish with the bones is that it has significantly more calcium.  The brand I am using "Northern Catch" contains 100 mg of calcium per 1/4 cup.  Boneless salmon (purchased at Costco for $1.78 for a 6 oz can)  has 40 mg of calcium per 1/4 cup.  In addition, the one with the bones has a better taste because it is higher in fat (90 calories & 5 g fat versus 60 calories & 1 g fat per 1/4 cup for the boneless), however the smell is a little strong. 
 
This is where the problem comes in with my husband.  I used this salmon before in a salad and he said the smell was too strong to take to work.  I am sneaky it into his lunch today because I have two more cans that I need to use up.  Since it is such a moist salmon it taste much better on a salad than the boneless salmon.  I use boneless salmon on sandwiches because I can add some mayo to improve the taste.  Don't be afraid of the higher fat content in the salmon with the bones.  The fat in salmon in an essential fatty acid called Omega-3.  It's the type of fat our bodies need but can not make - so we have to get it from food.  The American Heart Association recommends adults to consume about two 3.5 oz servings of fatty fish per week.  Check out this link for more info AHA Fish Info

Boneless Salmon from Costco. $1.78 / 6oz
Nutrition Info for Costco salmon

1 comment: