Saturday, June 9, 2012

Better than McDonald's



My husband had his last day of teaching high school on Friday.  So I am going to have to be creative with ways to get some healthy food in him over the summer.  Breakfast is a meal where I can sometimes have a positive influence. I make an imitation "McDonald's McMuffin-type Sandwich".  I use the "Arnold's Bread Sandwich Thins," an organic egg and a slice of cheese.  My husband loves the Kraft singles type cheese.  I have tried to use "Alpine Lace" low-fat deli slices but he does not like the texture.  So I make a little compromise here.  At least I can get some fiber into his meal with the bread.  It's the one time that he will eat something other then "Classic White Wonder Bread".

I went to the McDonald's website and compared items below.  While calories and fat are somewhat similar, the higher fiber content of Kevin's sandwich will leave him with a greater sense of fullness -- which means with my version he is less likely to eat 2 sandwiches!  In addition, the average American should have no more than 2300mg of sodium per day.  Sugar, salt and fat can also be addictive and lead to overeating - so less is always better.

1 Kirkland Sandwich Thin 
1 Organic Egg
1 Land O' Lakes Cheese Slice



Kevin’s McMuffin
McDonald’s McMuffin
(without Bacon)
Calories
240
270
Total Fat
11g
10g
Saturated Fat
4.5g
4.5g
Trans Fat
0g
0g
Cholesterol
245mg
250mg
Sodium
430mg
570mg
Total Carbohydrate
23g
29g
Dietary Fiber
6g
2g
Sugars
3g
2g
Protein
15g
14g
Calcium
230mg
290mg

No comments:

Post a Comment