Sunday, June 17, 2012

You Just Can't Tell the Truth in this Situation

Last time I served this dish, I mean made this dish, it never got eaten! My husband refused to even try it when I told him the meat sauce was made out of tofu instead of ground beef.  I made it again today.  He said it was really good (without me even asking)!  Same food item. Just did not tell him it was not made with meat.

Beef-Less Ground Beef Label
A few weeks ago I was shopping at Trader Joe's and I came across a food demonstration promoting the store brand of beef-less ground beef.  I am not usually a fan of processed food but I looked at the nutrition facts label and saw that this product was low in calories, saturated fat and sodium - so I decided to give it a try.  The 12 oz package was $2.99. Of course, the whole wheat pasta you see in the photo was what I ate.  My husband refuses to eat whole grain pasta - so I made a concession here.  I used my favorite jar sauce "Cleveland's Own Little Italy."   It's the only jar sauce I have found without high fructose corn syrup and the taste is amazing!  You pay a little more for it - but it is so worth it - especially if when trying to disguise ground tofu as ground beef.  You can get this at Marc's or Costco for about $3.50 a jar.  (32 oz - most sauces are in 25 oz jars - so you get a little more)  If you try this idea, please let me know what you and your picky eaters think!









No comments:

Post a Comment